Emergency phone numbers should always be in sight and up to date.
- In an emergency dial 9-1-1
- Discuss how to call for help in an emergency with children.
- Explain to children that firefighters, EMS, and police officers can help them in an emergency.
Teach your children how to get help by using a toy phone:
When practicing demonstrate the following:
1. Stay calm
2. Wait for the dial tone and dial 9-1-1
3. Speak clearly and tell the operator what is wrong
4. Give your name, address, and phone number.
5. Don't hang up until instructed.
Take a first-aid and CPR course to ensure that you are prepared to deal with an emergency.