Safety Tips

Learn CPR & First Aid

Find a CPR Class <--- Click Here
From online courses to training kits to classroom training at convenient locations, the American Heart Association makes it easy to find a CPR class to meet your needs. 512-338-2400

KIDS Fire Safety Tips






Click on picture to be redirected to the KIDS site

Home Safety Preparedness

Prevent fires caused by heating.
Prevent fires caused by smoking.
Prevent fires caused by candles.
Prevent fires caused by gasoline and other products.




Keep your family safe at home:
  • Have a fire escape plan for your family,
  • Have working smoke alarms.
  • Practice "Stop, Drop and Roll" if clothes catch fire.
  • Learn how and when to use a fire extinguisher.

Learn About the Types of Fire Extinguishers

The use of a fire extinguisher in the hands of a trained adult can be a life and property saving tool. However, a majority of adults have not had fire extinguisher training and may not know how and when to use them. Fire extinguisher use requires a sound decision making process and training on their proper use and maintenance.

In the event of a FIRE, Activate the alarm and cal 911 BEFORE you attempt to extinguish the fire.

Never fight a fire alone, use the BUDDY system and keep yourself between the fire and the exit.

Use the proper extinguisher; remember your ABC's:
  • Type A: ordinary combustibles - wood, paper, cloth
  • Type B: flammable liquids - gasoline, oil, grease
  • Type C: electrical - appliances, computers, circuit breakers
  • Type D: combustible metals – sodium, magnesium

Then remember "P.A.S.S."
  • Pull - pull the pin to unlock the lever
  • Aim - aim at the base of the fire
  • Squeeze - squeeze the lever to discharge the extinguishing agent
  • Sweep - sweep from side to side, carefully moving toward the fire until all the flames appear to be extinguished.

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas that has the molecular formula CO. The molecule consists of a carbon atom that is triply bonded to an oxygen atom.

Carbon Monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels - gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.

Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate when, as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated and the Carbon Monoxide is unable to escape.
Install smoke detectors
Check smoke detectors once a month and change the batteries at least once a year. Smoke detectors sense abnormal amounts of smoke or invisible combustion gases in the air. They can detect both smoldering and burning fires. At least one smoke detector should be installed on every level of a structure. Purchase smoke detectors labeled by the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM).

Post emergency numbers near telephones.
Be aware that if a fire threatens your home, you should not place the call to emergency services from inside the home. It is better to get out and place the call to fire authorities from a safe location outside the home.

After a fire emergency
Give first aid where appropriate. Seriously injured victims should be transported to professional medical help immediately. Stay out of the damaged building. Return only when fire authorities say it is safe.

Make sure you have a safe fire escape method for all situations
You may have installed a very expensive home security system. But if you cannot escape the burning structure you have a false level of confidence.

Space Heaters Need Space
Keep portable and space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that may burn. Never leave heaters on when you leave home or go to sleep. Children and pets should always be kept away from them.

Smokers Need To Be Extra Careful
Never smoke in bed or when you are sleepy. Carelessly discarded cigarettes are a leading cause of fire deaths in the United States.

Be Careful Cooking
Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles and wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when you cook. Keep the handles of your pots turned inward so they do not over-hang the stove. If grease catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and smother the flames, then turn off the burner.

Matches and Lighters are Dangerous
In the hands of a child, matches and lighters can be deadly! Store them where kids can't reach them, preferably in a locked area. Teach children that matches and lighters are "tools" and should only be used by adults.

Use Electricity Safely
If an appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it immediately and have it repaired. Replace frayed or cracked electrical cords and don't overload extension cords. They should not be run under rugs. Never tamper with the fuse box or use the improper size fuse.

Cool a Burn
If someone gets burned, immediately place the wound under cool water for 10 to 15 minutes. If the burn blisters or chars, see a doctor immediately!

Be Careful of Halogen Lights
If you have halogen lights, make sure they are away from flammable drapes and low ceiling areas. Never leave them on when you leave your home or office.